Saturday, May 17, 2014

Breastfeeding X2



The thought of breastfeeding twins is extremely intimidating. Not only do you have to worry about two babies latching on correctly but you also have to make sure your milk supply is good for two babies. With those two thoughts in your mind you then think about what positions you will feed the twins in & tandem feeding vs. single feeding. I've been through two weeks of bfing twins and the following are tips & tricks I learned so far.


  • Get Support:  While at the hospital use the available resources, your nurses & lactation consultant.  They will be able to assist you with getting the babies to latch & get an understanding at which position works best for you and babies.

  • Positive Thinking: It will be hard and you will (most likely) feel like quitting. DON'T! Stick with it, you can do it! Just tell yourself that and remind yourself that the babies are getting the best food available, your breast milk!

  • Start at your own pace:  Tandem feeding will be the most convenient way to breastfeed your twins but you don't need to start like that! I started feeding my girls individually. It gave me the opportunity to see if the girls had a good latch & to help fix any problems that may have occurred. Once I felt the girls were comfortable with feeding & I felt confident I attempted to tandem feed. I currently do it once a day & will slowly work it into the rest of our feedings.

  • One Wakes? Wake the other too: At night if one of the babies wakes up to eat wake the other up to eat as well. It will save you some sleep between feedings. 

  • Relax: The more relaxed you are the easier it will be. Being stressed and getting all worked up will cause a stall in milk production. Babies can also sense your emotions which is why it is harder to settle a crying baby when you're crying too. Deep breaths and positive thoughts help with the let down of milk and calm the baby. 

  • Accessorize: The my breast friend twin breastfeeding pillow, breast cream such as Lansinoh, nipple shields, and mother's milk tea are all things that will help you successfully breastfeed twins. I have yet to use the breast feeding pillow because I have yet to buy it but I do use the regular boppy pillow like this. I plan to purchase the twin pillow soon. 

  • Drink Lots of Water: If you feel thirsty then you are already becoming dehydrated. Keep a bottle of water near every feeding spot you have. When it runs empty refill and restock!  

No comments:

Post a Comment